Tuesday, October 14, 2008

My Homestay Family

So, it has been a few days since I have been able to post and I have moved in with my host family in Kukurantumi. I live with my host mother, Vida, in a nice house close to my training site. Another volunteer is staying with a family right down the road too, which is great. Mamma Vida is a matron at a local technical school and she has 3 other sons. Two of her sons, aged 15 and 9, live with their Grandmother in the Brong Ahafo region of Ghana, and her oldest son is 22 and is in his final year of college in Cape Coast, Ghana. Vida's landlady and her son, Kwaku, also live in the same house. I have also been given a Ghanaian name, Kwame, which is the standard name for a man born on a Saturday.

My room is very nice.... I have a double bed with a mosquito net and a few chairs and a coffee table and a bureau. Our house has elecricity, but no running water. Our water comes from a borehole in the yard. I shower by taking "bucket baths". My host mother has been feeding me very well! All sorts of different Ghanaian dishes... fufu, chicken, turkey, joloff rice, eggs, toast, coffee... lots of food.

On Saturday night, we watched "Project Fame: West Africa" on tv, which is basically West Africa's version of American Idol... it was great! On Sunday we attended a welcoming ceremony at the Cheif's Palace, which is standard procedure when there are visitors in any village/town in Ghana.

That's all on homestay for now... loving it. Sorry I have not been able to upload pictures or anything yet... perhaps that day will come.

No comments: