Friday, October 10, 2008

Kukurantumi

Hello! I am writing from an internet cafe in Kukurantumi, where I will be staying for about the next 10 weeks. Tomorrow I will meet and move in with my host family... I am very excited for that. For the last 5 days I was visiting a current volunteer in Dambai in the Volta region. Lake Volta is that largest man-made lake in the world! I had a great time during my visit. The volunteer I visited was a Small Enterprise Development volunteer and she was doing microfinance work. She was also from upstate New York, and her brother is a senior at UVM, which was cool. In her village I experienced going to market, which happens every monday and tuesday. I also met many of her friends and went to church for 3 hours on Sunday... it was quite an experience. A couple nights ago I was able to stay in a hotel that not only had power and running water, but a A/C and TV! I watched the 2nd Presidential Debate in my room and was very happy to be able to see it.

I will learn by Monday where I will be "placed" to live and work for the 2 years following my training. That is also when I will learn of my specific assignment. I am very anxious to learn about where I will be and what I will be doing. Many SED volunteers here work in the areas of eco-tourism and microfinance.

Well, there is not a whole lot more to share at this point. I am having a blast. Ghanians are so hospitable and welcoming. I hope to get internet access again soon so I can write about my host family and my placement... stay tuned!

Love and miss you all.

Adam

1 comment:

Mr. Hammond said...

Glad to hear things are going well. We are ready to roll in my classroom. Pictures would be great whenever you can do that. Look forward to hearing more.

-Hammy