Wednesday, October 1, 2008

First Post from Ghana

So, I made it to Ghana! The flight wasn't so bad... aisle seat, good company, food was pretty good, got to watch Swing Vote, and we got in earlier than scheduled. Ghana is wonderful. It is very hot! I have really enjoyed the food so far and I am having a blast. Right now I am at the Peace Corps office in the city of Accra. Today we had some language training, a tour of the office, met the staff, and got the first of a bunch of immunizations. Soon we will go back to our orientation site. The drive is a little more than an hour (though it is not too far away). The driving here is very chaotic and eventful. On our drive from the airport we were about an inch from nailing another small bus and skidded to a stop short of a fallen motorcyclist in the middle of the road about 10 feet in front of us. I definitely understand why I have to stick to a bike for my time here. On Friday we will all go into Accra for a scavenger hunt which should be a lot of fun. Then on Saturday I will leave to visit a current volunteer at his/her site for 5 days. I have met a few current volunteers here already and they are great. After I visit the site, I will have an interview with the director of Small Enterprise Development programs here and he will determine my placement. I will be able to indicate whether I want to work in a city/large town or smaller village setting as well as if I want a structured assignment (working directly with/for an NGO) or a flexible assignment in which I would have to be more self sufficient and creative perhaps. I haven't quite decided which direction to go in... any thoughts? I think I will be happy anywhere!

That's all for now... not sure when I will have access to the internet again but I would love to hear from everyone... hope all is well at home!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Adam - I am so impressed that you are in Ghana for two years and look forward to hearing all about it through your blog. thoughts on assignments: I vote smaller village because you will be able to immerse yourself more with the people and culture although I agree you can't really go wrong either way... any chance to do both?

best wishes
Sarah Macy

- mje said...

Ohhhh.... that's very toight!

Lucker - You got picture taking/uploading capabilities? If so, hook a brother up. Keep the good word comin.

Peace (intended pun), Mike

(ps - romp the creativity route. remember, when in doubt, WWMD (What Would Murph Do?) boom.)